It's official, the fall season is here and that means it's time to do a little organizing around the house to begin getting ready for the chilly weather and holidays ahead. I love autumn, it's my favorite season; the weather begins to cool and I get to wear my fabulous cardigans and coats again... coats that have been waiting all year in the back of my closet, hall closet and on very high closet poles that I can't reach without a step stool. The end of the year will be here before you know it, so getting started now with these seasonal closet organization ideas will help the next few months go by without a hitch.
Start Fall Off Right
First, decide on the areas that are most important for you to organize. Things have probably calmed down a little since the start of the school year, but it's easy to get overwhelmed. Closet organization is easiest when you do one closet storage area at a time. We've compiled some simple closet organization ideas to help make your fall a little less stressful.
Fall closet organization ideas for your closet
The main thing to focus on in the bedroom closet is clothing, it's about to get chilly and making fall and winter clothes accessible is a must. Some people may have closet organization systems while others have basic closet shelving, but we've got some simple steps that anyone can follow.
- Rotate your seasonal clothing. Bring fall and winter wear including coats, scarves and sweaters toward the front of the closet. Items that you may not wear again until spring can be hung or placed on shelves towards the back of the closet or in a less accessible area of the closet.
- Gather any coats and all winter garments that you haven't worn all season and determine which ones may need to be dry-cleaned. Choose a day and have all of these items cleaned and pressed so that they will be ready when you need them.
- Try your winter clothes on for size. It's been a long time since you've worn a lot of these garments. If the garment does not fit quite the same and is worth keeping, have it altered. If the item is something you no longer care to keep, then now is a perfect time to donate your clothes to a shelter for those who will be in need of warm clothing soon.
- Some other good closet organization ideas are to organize your winter accessories and hang hooks or closet organizers. Purchasing a scarf rack, hat rack, coat rack or other closet accessory can make finding your winter items a lot easier.
- Cleaning out your master closet and guest closets are also great closet organization ideas for fall. Making extra room now will allow for more space for new winter clothing, guest storage for the holidays and space to hide holiday presents if you want to get a jump on shopping now.
Fall closet organization ideas for your pantry
What does your pantry have to do with the fall season? Plenty! The fall is the time of the year when people do the most cooking and baking and the pantry can get cluttered fast! There's also got to be room for after school snacks, Halloween candy, canned items for holiday dinners and perhaps some hot chocolate! Here are some great pantry closet organization ideas!
- Take everything out of your pantry and clean it. Since fall is a time when temperatures drop, it's also a time when outside pests such as weevils, cockroaches and silverfish want to make your pantry their new home. Cleaning out the pantry closet now will eliminate little crumbs, open boxes of food product and other temptations that may draw these critters to your space. Taking additional measures like placing down bug traps may help also if you know bugs are a yearly problem. Stop the invasion before it starts.
- Now that you've taken everything out of the pantry, you can organize your items as you place them back. I recommend installing a custom or modular pantry system to everyone I know, but pantry closet organization can be done with or without one. Group like items such as canned goods, boxed products and so forth together in their own sections. Everyone's pantry closet is different, but I like to keep all of my baking needs on the bottom shelf, my canned food items at eye level, cooking needs (such as olive oil) on a higher shelf and snack food items and bags of pasta in slide-out baskets.
- Remember also, that fall is "baking season". Keeping extra room in the baking section of your pantry will come in handy when you return from the grocery store with bags of sugar, flour, cake mixes and pie fillings.
- My favorite of all the pantry closet organization ideas is to use plastic containers for food storage. Keeping items such as brown sugar, flour, baking soda, cocoa and so forth in labeled plastic containers will help to keep these items organized, fresh and accessible.
Fall closet organizational ideas for seasonal items
Well, I admit that I used to be horrible at seasonal storage. Items like decorations, wrapping paper and seasonal table settings were just stuck wherever I could fit them. Boy, did that make things harder than they had to be, and it took me hours to find anything when the holiday season came up again. Now, I follow these closet organization ideas when I can.
- Decoration storage is a big one. Almost everyone has some type of home decorations for one or more holidays. My top advice on this is: label everything. Keeping like items together in plastic or sturdy cardboard boxes with labels is the best thing I ever did for my storage items.
- Costumes and similar items that may only be worn once a year can work well in boxes in the attic or garage or in the back of the closet. Just remember, any clothing item in the attic or garage should be in a completely sealable box or include baking soda or moth balls in the box as well to prevent any damage from humidity or bugs.
- Seasonal plateware or platters can be stored in the same place all year or in a less used kitchen cabinet. If you are lacking the storage you need in the kitchen for seasonal items, just pack the plates and such in bubble wrap or newspaper for boxed storage elsewhere in the house.
- To keep like items stored in the same place, having Christmas or holiday wrapping paper in the same place as all other wrapping paper is another one of our great closet organization ideas.
If you are considering getting a closet organization system installed in time for the holidays now is a perfect time to start getting ideas together. Custom closet organizers or pantries can take 3-8 weeks from start to installation and modular closet organizers require research, measuring and self installation. Closet organization systems can also be a great holiday gift for a loved one or family member but it is also a busy time of year for the closet organization industry, so if this is of interest, get started now!
Like to Share? If you would like to post this article on your website, simply view our republishing instructions. You can also stay up-to-date with more closet organizer articles by subscribing to our monthly newsletter.